Obesity and overweight have in the last decade become a global problem – according to the World Health Organization (WHO) back in 2005 approximately 1.6 billion adults over the of age 15+ were overweight, at least 400 million adults were obese and at least 20 million children under the age of 5 years were overweight.
Experts believe if the current trends continue by 2015 approximately 2.3 billion adults will be overweight and more than 700 million will be obese. The scale of the obesity problem has a number of serious consequences for individuals and government health systems.
Consequences and Health Risks: Obesity is a concern because of its implications for the health of an individual as it increases the risk of many diseases and health conditions including: –
- Coronary heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
- Liver and Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
- Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility).
Causes of obesity
Obesity is generally caused by consuming more calories – particularly those in fatty and sugary foods – than you burn off through physical activity. The excess energy is then stored by the body as fat.
Obesity is an increasingly common problem, because many modern lifestyles often promote eating excessive amounts of cheap, high-calorie food and spending a lot of time sitting at desks, on sofas or in cars.
There are also some underlying health conditions that can occasionally contribute to weight gain, such as an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), although conditions such as this don’t usually cause weight problems if they are effectively controlled with medication.
Obesity can reduce your life expectancy by up to 9 years..
These conditions can cause or contribute to premature death and substantial disability.
- Cardiovascular disease – mainly heart disease and stroke – is already the world’s number one cause of death, killing 17 million people each year and diabetes has rapidly become a global epidemic – according to WHO projections diabetes deaths will increase by more than 50% worldwide in the next 10 years.
- Less common health conditions associated with increased weight include asthma, hepatic steatosis and sleep apnea.
There are certain herbs which help in preventing all sorts of obesity related disorders and they are as follows:
OFFICINALE P. NIGRAM P. LONGUM (TRIKUTU)
Trikatu powder contains three spices in equal proportions. Black pepper – Piper nigrum Long pepper fruit – Piper longum Ginger – Zingiber officinalis.
Deepana – it improves digestion strength.
Shleshmaghna – it balances Kahpa dosha.
Medoghna – it burns fat. Reduces cholesterol levels.
Kushta – useful in skin diseases.
Peenasa – useful in running nose, allergic rhinitis
Jayet Arochakam – relieves anorexia.
Ama – useful to relieve ama (a state of indigestion).
Meha – useful in diabetes
Gulma – useful in abdominal tumor, bloating
Galamaya – useful in throat infection and diseases.
TAMARINDUS INDICA (VILAITI IMLI)
- Tamarind fruit contains certain health benefiting essential volatile chemical compounds, minerals, vitamins and dietary fiber.
- Its sticky pulp is a rich source ofnon-starch polysaccharides (NSP) or dietary-fiber such as gums, hemicelluloses, mucilage, pectin and tannins.
- Dietary fibers in the pulp bind to bile salts (produced from cholesterol) and decrease their re-absorption in the colon; thereby help in expulsion of “bad” or LDL cholesterol levels from the body.
- It is a powerful antioxidant. It, thus, helps human body protect from harmful free radicals.
And the above mentioned herbs are present in product range of Herbalage named Shape Me.
Obesity management naturally.
The formulation helps balance body weight naturally by suppressing excess appetite, eliminates extra water and reduces excess body fat naturally. It works wonderfully when combined with regular fitness regime.
- Addresses internal chemical imbalance, improves nutrition to cells and tissues to help get extra fat eliminated from the body.
- Regulate body fat distribution normally.
- Helps experience energy, flexibility and speed during routine work.
- Complimenting supplement to patient suffering from diabetes mellitus and coronary artery disease.