What is hyperacidity?
Hyperacidity is defined as an excessive level of acidity, especially in the stomach. The results are problems like indigestion, heartburn, acute stomach pain and acid reflux.
Ayurveda says that the most common cause of hyperacidity is an irregular dietary habits and lifestyle. Excess acid can be triggered by stress or certain foods like alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, high fat meals, orange juice or tomato juice. If not properly checked in time it may result in reflux oesophagitis, peptic ulcers etc.,
What is flatulence?
The stresses of modern-day living can easily unbalance the delicate digestive system, bringing unpleasant side effects. Two such effects are excessive gas and bloating (Flatulence). Flatulence can also be due to swallowing of air as under normal circumstances a small amount of air is swallowed with food, drink and saliva. Some of this gas is expelled as a belch. The remainder passes into the intestine. Most of the colonic gas is the consequence of bacterial action on food residues in the lower small intestine and colon.
What does Ayurveda say about flatulence?
Ayurveda considers gas to be an aggravation of the vata dosha – “air humor”. Aggravation of vata can lead to an imbalance in the system leading to ‘Adhmana’ (Bloating of abdomen)
Faulty eating practices are the number one culprit; poor food choices and poor food combining comes next.
- Bloating/ swelling
- Abdominal pain or cramping
- Food in tolerances, lack of appetite
- Fat mal absorption
- Irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel diseases
- B12 deficiency as well as other vitamins and minerals
- Chronic illnesses such chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, neuromuscular disorders and autoimmune diseases.
What is Ayurveda’s approach to address hyperacidity & flatulency?
Ayurvedic approach is designed to encourage good digestion, rather than being a drug. It uses a combination of lifestyle changes, dietary changes and herbs that have been found to assist the body in stabilizing a digestive system. Avoid the use of antibiotics for a long term or at least do not continue the drugs without doctor’s advice.
- Dietary habits: Develop regular eating habits and eating times. It is always better to avoid over-eating, irregular eating, eating when earlier food is not digested, prolonged fasting, eating spicy, excessive oily food etc., which can lead to indigestion. Refrain from gulping down food while eating, avoid consumption of carbonated drinks, tobacco, and spicy food
- Lifestyle: Intake of at least half a liter of water early morning on empty stomach, and an early and light dinner (preferably before 8 PM) helps. Try to beat stress, since anxiety and nervous tension, worries, overexertion; sedentary lifestyle can be the possible cause of flatulenceThere is certain herb which helps in preventing all sorts of GUT Cleansing symptoms and they are:PHYLLANTHUS EMBLICA (AMLA)
- The fiber, polyphenol and water content of amlacombined with its anti inflammatory properties make it a great antidote for an upset stomach.
- Daily consumption of raw amla reduces constipation problem, as it rich in fibres and acts as a gentle laxative.
- Amla helps in maintaining the proper functioning of liver and bladder, and get rid of toxins.
- Regular use of amla is very good for your stomach, as it balances the acids levels of stomach and thus improving digestion.
- Amla is the powerhouse of anti-oxidants and thus helps in fighting off free radicals in your body.
TERMINALIA CHEBULA (HARAD)
- Haritaki or Harad removes all blockages in the channels of the body.
- Haritaki has laxative, rejuvenative, purgative, astringent and dry properties.
- Regular consumption of it promotes longevity and boosts energy.
- It responds well to gastrointestinal ailments, tumors, ascites, piles, enlargement of liver-spleen, worms and colitis.
- Haritaki helps in improving appetite and helps in digestion.
The fiber, polyphenol and water content of amlacombined with its anti inflammatory properties make it a great antidote for an upset stomach.
And the above mentioned herbs are present in product range of Herbalage named Triphalaid, Gasolax.
Triphalaid combines classical Ayurvedic triphala and other complementing herbs to ignite detoxification, cleansing and eliminating the waste from colon.
- Improves digestion, increase nutrition and strengthens digestive system.
- Helps eliminate waste in routine.
- Richest source of natural vitamin C, calcium and other micronutrients which helps attain good eyesight, soft, supple and thick skin, strengthen bones, reduce tri-glycerides and manage blood pressure.
- Regular consumption slower downs the ageing process.
- Addresses abdomen cramps, flatulence, indigestion, body pain and cramps due to gas.
- Helps in hyper-acidity or GERD.
- Regulate gallbladder and manage gallbladder stone.
- Helps remove flutters and feel active 24×7.