Sleep is a natural phenomenon. When it is disturbed it reacts upon the body as a whole. Just as malnutrition tells upon the health of an individual similarly, mal sleep or disturbed sleep has a profound effect on the health of the individual. When people by force stop the incoming sensation of sleep they get repercussions too serious to a gentleman’s health. Insomnia can be a nightmare. You’re desperate for sleep, but it seems that the more exhausted you feel, the harder it is to rest.
Most people have insomnia, which refers to any three sleep disorder:
- Difficulty falling sleep (more than 45 mintues)
- Early morning awakening
- Frequently night awakening
Approximately 10 million people take prescription drugs to help them sleep, while many more take over the counter sleep aids. one of the major problems with taking drugs to help you sleep is that long term or chronic use of the sleeping pills causes addiction ( especially in case of using drugs in the benzodiazepine class) and disturbing side effects , including abnormal sleep patterns, which actually make the insomnia worse.
Insomnia is generally classified based on the duration of the problem. Not everyone agrees on one definition, but generally:
- Symptoms lasting less than one week are classified as transient insomnia,
- Symptoms between one to three weeks are classified as short-term insomnia, and
- Those longer than three weeks are classified as chronic insomnia.
Causes of acute insomnia can include:
- Significant life stress (job loss or change, death of a loved one, divorce, moving)
- Emotional or physical discomfort
- Environmental factors like noise, light, or extreme temperatures (hot or cold) that interfere with sleep
- Some medications (for example those used to treat colds, allergies, depression, high blood pressure, and asthma) may interfere with sleep. Use of drugs including caffeine and alcohol, hypoglycemic (lower blood sugar), changes in a person‘s environment, pain restless leg syndrome (an uncontrolled urge to move legs), and fear of sleep.
- Interferences in normal sleep schedule (jet lag or switching from a day to night shift, for example)
Causes of chronic insomnia include:
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Chronic stress
- Pain or discomfort at night
Symptoms of Insomnia
Symptoms of insomnia can include:
- Sleepiness during the day
- General tiredness
- Problems with concentration or memory
You can induce your natural sleep and reduce the problem of insomnia by following –
- Regular exercise – Exercise on a regular basis brings natural sleep. But, don’t work out right before bed. Do some abdominal breathing and progressive muscle relaxation in the morning or after work. Adults, who do aerobic exercises regularly, can experience improvements in their sleep quality. Physical tiredness is essential to getting a good night’s sleep. Go for 20 minute walk morning and evening that elevates the heart rate, is the best remedy for getting a good sleep.
- Change your diet- Milk, whole grain crackers , peanut, butter and banana are particularly good choices because they contain the sleep –inducing chemical tryptophan , in addition to being good sources of carbohydrates, which Can help your body maintain blood sugar levels into the night. Cut out the food and drinks that contain caffeine, such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, and chocolate, by mid afternoon. Make dinner your lightest meal, and finish it a few hours before bedtime. Skip spicy or heavy foods, which can keep you awake with heartburn or indigestion. Take omega rich foods it helps in brain development and enhances neural activity.
- Avoid smoking or consuming caffeine or alcohol for 3-4 hours before bedtime. Sex is the natural relaxant; under the right circumstances, intercourse can help you unwind and enjoy a good night’s sleep.
- If you need to awaken in the middle of the night, your blood sugar levels may be falling too low. To avoid the problem, try having a high – carbohydrate snack before bed.
Adopt ayurvedic regimen-
Combination of brahmi, aswagandha , sarpgandha, and jatamansi is powerful antioxidant for brain which reduce mental weakness, mental stress, improves mental cognitive & boost a long-term memory.
- Brahmi: It is a powerful brain tonic, which supports and improves all aspects of mental functioning. . It is also a tranquillizer, soothe the restlessness and distraction.
- Aswagandha: This is an overall tonic for greater vitality and longevity. It enhances coordination between the mind and sense which, according to ayurveda, is essential for good sleep.
- Jatamansi: It has been found to increase levels of neurotransmitters like serotonin.
- Sarpagandha: It helps in reliving the tension of the mind, it purifies mind and body thus eases from physical & mental stress, treats high blood pressure and lack of sleep.
- Shankpushpi: It is mainly advocated for use in mental stimulation and rejuvenation therapy. It is reported to be a prominent memory-improving drug. It is used as a psycho-stimulant and tranquilizer.
- Motipishti: This nutrient together builds our body to fight against all sorts of mental and physical stress. Helps in sleeplessness, depression, acute headaches and all sorts of mental disorders.
These ingredients found in-
Unlimited mind and body
It is a combination of sacred herbs which nourishes rasayana ; rasa, agni and srotas thus revitalize the nerve cell, muscle, blood cell which helps in boost a Long-Term Memory, improves mental cognitive , blood pressure , peak brain performance, reduce hypertension, anxiety neurosis, sleeplessness, depression, acute headaches, all sorts of mental problems , hypercholesterolemia, strengthen muscles by efflux of ama or toxin & free radicals and provides antioxidant to the heart muscles & brain cells thus strengthen the whole body.
Blackflax combines two super seeds , which are considered sacred and treated as blessings to humankind from time immemorial. It is powerful nutrition for your brain. Blackseeds are loaded with anti –oxidants and have been playing significant roles in treating all sorts of ill-health conditions from ancient time, while flax seeds are loaded with omega 3 essential fatty acid which helps in brain development. The combination works wonder in managing lipid profile , preventing un-natural ageing and helping to manage number of health conditions including ; diabetes, heart , menopausal , digestive disorders and fighting against cancer.